June 09, 2010

A Perfect Day


I used to think
that a perfect day
was a day full of
your favorite activities.

But, now i know
that a perfect day
can be a day
that isn't about me at all.

That person grinning from ear to ear
is my baby brother.
He'll soon turn 43
but, that's not what he is smiling about.

Last Tuesday, he graduated from OHSU
with his bachelors degree in nursing.
On Wednesday,
he interviewed for his dream job
and three hours later,
they called to offer him the position.

The room where he interviewed
overlooked an outdoor concrete staircase
that he had spent many cold,
rainy days building just 5 1/2 years ago.
It was the perfect image to hold in his mind
as he talked about why he wanted
to work at and be part of OHSU.

I like to think about the symbolism of a staircase.
How they help us to navigate steep and difficult slopes.
How they make it easier for us to get to our destination.

I like to think that
that staircase helped my brother
follow his long ago dream
of working in the medical profession.

Ask a discontented person
how many perfect days they think they're
entitled to.
They will have a number for you.

Other folks know
that if even one perfect day
comes along in their lifetime,
an extraordinary thing has occured.

A feeling to be taken in and marveled over.

Last Wednesday was a perfect day.
Not just for my brother
but also,
for everyone who loves him.